Saturday, October 30, 2021

Castle Whiterock 25 October 2021: You get nothing for nothing, if that's what you do

The murderhoboes

Garreth, half-orc swordsman
    Bleu, droning elf wizard
Zaber, suave and debonaire man
    Logan, wolverine
Polly, cute and deadly elf archer
Thrognar, half-orc holy warrior
Mikal, human holy warrior

What happened

I let the others know about the wraiths, then turn a little down the hall on the other side of them. Polly moves, and shoots three cutting arrows at one, but misses. Garreth focuses on Great Haste, Mikal steps and casts Sunbolt, and Thrognar steps and focuses his heroic power.

The wraiths glide forward, unsheathing grim, flickering swords of nothingness. Polly looks suddenly shivering and starting to rime with frost as they near her. The swords of nothingness flash silently as shadow upon shadow. One wraith loses its balance as it swings at Polly, who gets out of the way. Garreth moves, then attacks, giving the off- balance wraith a couple whacks. He feels chill as he gets near. He hits, and feels the blade bite but only faintly, like fighting a swarm. Thrognar brandishes his holy symbol and holds it up to hold back the wraiths.

Polly moves and shoots thrice at a wraith, and the arrows rip small chunks of nothing away. I snap alert and yell at the nearest wraith, "You guys are doomed to an unlife of no booze!" It does not seem overly impressed. Then I step and wait for one to come near.

It does. Its aura of chill rimes me in frost.

There empty hoods full of angry nothingness turn gaze upon Garreth, but he yawns at them. The wraiths' voidblack blades lash out at Garreth. He takes some hits, drops his sword, and swears in Undercommon. He shouts at us, "Run!"

Polly looks sad. "But I was hurting it!" She doesn't fall back. Seeing weapons be less than effective, Thrognar keeps concentrating, in hope the wizard and or Polly can hurt them, "Polly, you can hurt them from behind me."

Polly says, "Oh okay." She moves and shoots thrice, wounding it. "I can't quite get behind you."
Mikal steps and waits to throw Sunbolt at any wraith coming towards him. Thrognar seems to be holding them back, so he keeps concentrating. "I can't keep this up forever, perhaps zapping them is in order." Mikal falls back and let them into the choke point, while Logan and I fly back to just behind Thrognar.

The wraiths split up. One goes to the left, while two others fly into a passage to the back and right. Garreth waits, trying to stay aware. I say, "They're gonna come around on us!"

Polly's worry is different. "They're getting away!" Bleu helpfully blabs that the spells Affect Spirits and Sunbolt work well on wraiths. None of this matters to Polly. She chases after the wraith that went east, and chills from its aura. She then shoots it thrice from behind. It dissipates in a blast of frost and chill. "Brrr!" Mikal steps and gets ready to throw Sunbolt. Thrognar readies a step for when someone gets out the way.

Logan and I move over to right keep aware for the wraiths. "Keep a look behind me, Logan." Polly chases the wraiths, shooting as she does. Garreth moves, putting his back to the ceiling. Bleu stays near to Thrognar, who steps, and Mikal steps in time with him.

Logan and I move into the tunnel a little bit, Logan looking behind. I see a wraith. "Boys and girls, we have company! One is coming!" It charges towards me, then sees Thrognar, so it flees instead.

I see that it seems to be silently saying something as it sees Thrognar. "The paladin doth stand before us, let us fly! Round back to the flank of our foes!"

I let the others know, "They're coming around again!" Polly moves around the other corner. We can hear the twang of her bow, and there's a slight thud from one of the arrows. I yell at her, "Polly! Get back here before you get your ass killed!" Polly moves back towards us on my advice. Garreth slides along the ceiling to stay with Thrognar, who steps. Mikal steps, too, and throws Sunbolt at the wraith down the tunnel. It sears fiercely into it, it burns as nothing and blackness flares up. It vaporizes into nothingness, a fresh clean nothingness.

I float forward a few steps warily. The wraith swings at Polly, but she gets out of the way.
She thinks about her life choices, but takes three shots as she runs past, and hits twice. Mikal steps and casts Sunbolt again. Thrognar steps around the corner towards the right. I fly down the tunnel kinda quickly but not too quickly.

The wraith steps and strikes Polly from behind, blade of nothing flickering in the darkness. She falls. Garreth rushes forward and shouts at the wraith, stunning it, then he grabs Polly. Mikal steps and throws Sunbolt at wraith, singing it. It flares up and it's mostly gone! Thrognar steps towards the wraith, holding it back.

I fly around the corner, trying to get behind the wraith, and I see an open-mouthed pit yawns in the middle of the floor. A fiery glow seeps into the room from that chasm, and waves of heat forshape the air above it. I then keep flying to try to get behind the wraith. Garreth swears in Undercommon, then shouts, again, stunning the wraith. As Mikal steps and casts Sunbolt, Garreth books it as fast as he can. Thrognar steps towards the wraith, and Bleu casts Great Haste on Mikal.

Mikal steps and throws Sunbolt at the wraith. The Sunbolt fries it to shadow and nothing. I hear sounds like something small hitting the ground as the wraiths died. I check out where it fell, and find a gold ring. I read the Undercommon writing on it. "Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die." I shake his head. "Nah, Logan, not for us." I then check out where the others fell, and find a silver ring and a copper ring. "Hey, Blah, what about these rings? They magic? Valuable? Boring?"

Bleu takes a look. "Ah, yes, it is said that in the Days of Old, when Benthosruthsa ruled Castle Whiterock, he chose three mortal champions amongst his guards, as men live less than elves or dragons, he forged them soul stealing rings of bleakest necromancy, to this day they are said to guard his realm eternal into undeath." Bleu thoroughly tells me all about this.

I yawn and ask, "I take it bad things happen if we wear them?"

Bleu says, "Yes, but they are valuable curios."

Garreth goes to sleep on the floor. I cover him and Polly with blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment