Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving! Here is the monsters and treasure list

I've been a lazy rotter on keeping up my game logs. I've been playing and I have four sessions worth of notes to type up, but my excuse is … grad school. Now, one of those sessions was in July and I haven't had a busy semester, but that's the excuse I'm using, as lame as it is. I'll have to come up with a new excuse once I've graduated.

The sessions have been a little different, a lot of weird town and road adventures (using the Mythic Game Master Emulator as something of a Ouija board) with Roman retiring Xóran and playing his information broker Aramis for a session, until he got caught breaking into a house and doomed to death. Oops.

But that's not about all this. This is about usable content for the rest of you. I present the latest version of my big monsters and treasure list. It's so big I'm doing it as a PDF; yes, Emily, if you want it, I can send you the latest revision for the sortable list.

EDIT: Oh, bloody hell, here's the damn Excel file.

Anyways, the details:

Monster. While this should be obvious, I tried to add every version I could of the mix-and-match monsters (dragons, slimes). This means there are many entries.

Page. A legend. I hope I got all the sources I've used.


Class. This is the monster class, like Animal or Mundane. I have the Terrible classes from the "Dire and Terrible Monsters" article in Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy IV. I think I should have those as Dire instead, though I transcribed as the article has it, as it convention for librarians. I added (Swarm) to those monsters that are swarms after the conventional class, usually Animal.

IQ: Duh. I use this as a guideline for assigning treasure.

# App. That's "Number Appearing." You roll this number of dice to see how many the players encounter. I changed a few monsters to have more appearing to make sure that the encounter is at least a small challenge for 125-point characters and at least a footnote for 250-point characters. For those monsters that have lairs (see next entry), one-fifth of them are the average squad outside the lair, so divide the number in-lair by 16.5 to get the number of dice you need to roll for those encounters. Twofold a squad (so, two-fifths) will be out of their lair if your players run into them while they are active.

Lair. If this is N/A, then the monster doesn't make a lair and all are appearing. If this is always, then you've hit the lair and all are appearing. If this is a die with a minus, like 1d-3, then you roll one six-sided die and subtract 3. If the number is negative, you've stumbled upon their lair. If this number is zero, you've hit a squad of them, and the lair is in the same 5-or-6-mile hex. If this number is positive, you've hit a squad of them, and the lair is that many 5-or-6-mile hexes away. If you're not using outdoor hexes (boo) or a different size hex, fivefold that positive number is how many miles away their lair is.

$. How much the monsters' treasure is worth in GURPS $, minimum zero. This is treasure in the lair and does not count pocket change.

Items. How many magic items the monsters have in their lair. Minimum zero, of course. Does not include gear of leaders.

Strategy. Raider, Hoarder, or Incidental. See earlier versions of this for details. Gleefully swiped from Adventurer Conqueror King.

Change. Pocket change an individual monster has in GURPS $, minimum zero.

SM. Size Modifier.

HSM. Horizontal Size Modifier. That's the size of the monster when you take morphology traits like Horizontal and No Legs (Sessile) into account. See "Combat Writ Large" in Pyramid #3/77: Combat for more detail. Also handy if you have a specific room size in mind to know how much clearance Clarence the Dragon needs.

Hexes. Number of hexes the monster takes up. See "Combat Writ Large" in Pyramid #3/77: Combat for more detail.

Skill. Effective skill while grappling. See Fantastic Dungeon Grappling for more detail.

Damage. Damage in control points for grappling. See Fantastic Dungeon Grappling for more detail.

CM. Control Maximum, which is like hit points for grappling. Again, see Fantastic Dungeon Grappling for more detail.

OR. Offensive Rating. See "It's a Threat!" in Pyramid #3/77: Combat for more detail.

PR. Protective Rating. See "It's a Threat!" in Pyramid #3/77: Combat for more detail.

CER. Combat Effectiveness Rating. See "It's a Threat!" in Pyramid #3/77: Combat for more detail. Yes, I really figured all these. I'm sure I made loads of mistakes, though I did go through many of them twice.

3 comments:

  1. Man, that is awesome! Especially the part of the treasure. It will help a lot in my Dungeon Psionic campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I really appreciate all the effort, especially the CERs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sooo much! I'm getting ready to run my first DF dungeoncrawl with friends, and I was really struggling with how to allocate treasure, number appearing, what level of the dungeon to put monsters on, etc. Everyone on the Internet kept telling me to just wing it, and maybe that would have worked after I gained enough DF experience, but having this list is ten times better. Thank you for doing all this work!

    ReplyDelete