Sunday, February 28, 2021

Castle Whiterock log 1 February 2021: Pudding is nasty

The murderhoboes

Garreth, half-orc swordsman
Zaber, suave and debonaire man
Polly, cute and deadly elf archer
Thrognar, half-orc holy warrior

What happened

After Garreth smashes the wall, I step and wait for one to rush up to me. Logan moves into sight and growls; I yell at him to not rush ahead. Thrognar steps and calls upon his god.

Polly asks, "Hey Thrognar, are there any places to target on these things?" She fires three bodkin arrows at one of the bone demons, and it does not shift away so one hits. Maybe I have had too much to drink, but I swear that I see the arrow slow before it hit the bone demon, though it does take it down.

Thrognar thinks about Polly's question, and yells, "Their innards are a touch low and to the left of ours! Their tails are poisonous and holy weapons work best against them!" Polly instead shoots the bone demon in its twice other eye, which kills it. She turns and shoots another one, but it dodges.

I run up and get out my knife, and Garreth runs behind me. We can now see more bone demons to the right, at the edge of the cave. I yell at Logan to stick near Polly, and he follows her.  Thrognar runs forward and tries to stab a bone demon in the chest, but misses. Polly shoots at one of the bone demons to the right, but her arrows only mildly hurt it, and she drops her bow.

I stab at the bone demon before me where Thrognar said it would hurt and hit, knocking it down. Logan tries to grab its foot but cannot. The bone demons start to come towards us, and one throws a boulder at Thrognar. It hits him, and he falls, dropping his weapon.

Thrognar stands up and Polly grabs her bow. Logan bites for the downed bone demon's foot, but his teeth cannot get through the bone. It kneels and I stab it, knocking it down again.

One of the bone demons waves its hands and chants something demonic, and a wall of ice comes between us, splitting Garreth and Thrognar from Polly, Logan, and me. Another bone demon steps and tries to rend me, but I step back and dodge, and it loses its balance.

Garreth, behind the wall of ice, yells out in Orcish and Undercommon. I know enough Undercommon to know that he sees a black pudding coming around the corner. He smashes a hole in the wall right next to me, then puts Scalemar into the demon on the ground, hurting it more. He calls out, "Thrognar, once Zaber clears a path, let's get through the wall! I want us not pressed on both sides." Thrognar gets his weapon.

Polly thinks about what she should do, then shoots the off-balance bone demon in the eye thrice. Only the last shot hits, but that one knocks it senseless and greatly scars it. She steps back, and Logan steps back with her. A bone demon tries to slam her side, but she steps away. Another one tries to do the same to me, and I get it in the chest before it gets nearer. I use my knife to flick it out of the way; luckily, it doesn't snap, and hurts it more. The wall of ice blinks out of sight. A third one comes nearer. I feel a wave of heavyheartedness on me, but it passes fast; it must have been gas.

The pudding oozes closer.

Garreth steps and lops both legs off a bone demon. "I bet you are pudding bait now," he chuckles.

"You cannot defeat all of us!" it yells at him.

I call back, "Are you allied with the pudding or something?"

It hisses at me, "We are Lawful. he Black Pudding is a lesser lifeform. We use it. We do not ally with it."

I raise my hand, my fingers in a malocchio. "Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!"

Garreth lops the legs off two other bone demons. "It's about to lesser all over your face. It'll be fun."

Thrognar steps and tries to throw the downed and stunned bone demon into the pudding's path, but cannot. Polly flies around another bone demon and peppers its skull with arrows, dropping it. Logan runs after Polly, and I try to take out two stunned bone demons, but only take out one.

Right after taking one down, a feeling tells me to step back and shift my body. I do, and get out of the way of the then-invisible bone demon. One on the ground tries to take down Garreth, as do two others who rush forward to fight him, but Garreth dodges them with ungodly speed.

At last I get a good look at the pudding. "Damn, did the hobbit's lunch come to life?"

Garreth takes the legs off another bone demon, then he turns and takes the tail off the one on the ground I missed in my haste a second earlier. Thrognar grabs a downed bone demon, and Polly steps and takes out two more bone demons with arrows. I step down with open bag towards Logan. "Inside or NO beer for you!" Logan growls, but jumps in the bag.

One downed bone demon lifts its hand to strike, but passes out trying. The one without its tail tries take down Garreth, who parries and takes off its arms. Then he kicks the bone demon, stunning it and pushing it towards the pudding.

As he does this, the pudding flickers and stops moving.

I pick up a bone demon leg and lob it at the pudding. It falls harmlessly through the pudding, landing on the floor with a thud.

"Damn, it's an illusion," says Garreth. On a far wall, I see there is a wall of ice, which is melting away. As Polly and Garreth loot the bodies, I push on the wall, then bang on it. Behind me, I hear Polly cry out that she found a magic rock.

I pick up a skull and clear out its demon gunk. I pour some beer into it, and open the bag for Logan. "Treat for you!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment