Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Whiterock 29 March 2021: Kermits must die!

The rotating cast of murderhoboes

Zaber, the suave, debonair man of the world
Polly, the cute and deadly elf archer
Val, a purple-clad elf wizard
Garreth, the toughest guy in town, half-orc or otherwise

What these guys did

Back in Cillamar, Polly gets Penetrating Weapon (2) cast on her bow, and I get Deflect 2 cast on my armor.

Val shows up at the Slumbering Drake and meets us. Chauntessa suggests he meet up with us, as Garreth is missing and she doesn't trust Polly and me to find our way to Whiterock. (I know where he is, but don't want to tell everyone.) Polly and I agree, though I suggest that Logan lead us to Whiterock. Nobody takes this seriously, and after some Bless spells on Val and Logan, Val casts Flight on us and we fly to Whiterock.

Once in Whiterock, we bring Val to the giants to join the Club. Although a waif, Val somehow rides the purple worm. Polly and I both try the Purple Shroom Stout as we watch, and Polly finds it is not like hard carrot juice at all. It is both an good underground stout but lets you trip like on mushrooms.

I let Logan out of his bag to guide Polly through the dungeon until she sobers up. Val sees the holes, and we tell him that we drink potions of Gaseous Form to go through them. He instead casts Ethereal Body on himself, and his gear falls to the floor. I sigh, and pick up his gear and put Logan in the bag before grabbing a potion and drinking, as does Polly. We make it through, turn back to flesh, and I let out Logan to guide Polly again as I put on my ring.

We go past some pools of acid as we make our way through the tunnels. As I stop Logan from drinking them, both Val and I spot a small white figurine of a bird in the acid. Val says it is magic, he casts Apportation to lift it out of the acid, then casts Create Water to clean it off.

We walk further, and four  stocky, toad-like humanoids, almost as broad-shouldered as they are tall block the tunnel. Their skin oozes with pustules and thick spikes go down their back. The stench of sulfur gives way to a far worse smell, something that mixes damnation, excrement, and despair. They smell so bad that it might paralyze us, so Logan growls at them.

They hear that, and turn their heads towards the others who are not invisible. Among them is Garreth. I rub my eyes and mutter, "What the hell?"

Garreth hones his zen to speed himself up as I slink behind a nearby frogman. Polly starts peppering a frogman in its head, who hardly seems to feel the hurt. Val casts Glue between the frogmen and Logan, standing before the others. This looks like it slows down the frogman, who doesn't quite make it to Logan to claw him. Another one doesn't make it all the way, while two others turn into clouds. The smell makes me sick, but I hold in my liquid lunch and swing my knife through the nearest cloud twice. Logan doesn't sink his claws on the frog before him, and steps back, growling.

Garreth rushes up to a frogman and swings his blade four times, the last time splitting it open. It spurts foul pus and a nasty smell, though the smell doesn't bother Garreth and Logan. Polly shoots the other frogman at the fore four times, with the last shot going through the eye, but it stays standing. Val casts Lightning Bolt to throw it, and the frogmen near me take shape again. The one nearest the others lets out a big psychedelic blast of many hues, sounds, and smells, with somehow hurts them. It doesn't fell anyone, however, but mostly makes Logan mad. He claws at the frogman, but doesn't hurt him much. I stab at the eye of the frogman before me, but he gets out of the way. I step back and pull out my sai to hold in my left hand.

All of the sudden, we see a glowing bright ball fly around the corner, as big as a man. Garreth flies over the glue spot and fells a frogman. Polly yells at Garreth that he blocks arrows, but she shoots thrice under him instead, taking down a frogman. Val grows his lightning bolt, while a frogman unleashes its chaos at Garreth and me. Somehow, the chaos doesn't do anything to me, while Garreth shrugs off the weirdness. The other frogman tries to claw me, but I step back and parry one blow with my sai, and Garreth parries another with his sword. Logan keeps clawing at the face of the frogman on the ground, while I step and miss the frogman's eye again.

Here's where it gets even weirder.

The glowing ball, music coming out of it, shoots four rays of light at the frogman before me. This fells him. I tell Garreth that we've had too many mushrooms. After Garreth says that he switched to organic mushrooms, Polly says that she hasn't seen a mushroom fly before. The glowing ball, with a high elvish accent, says that it is not a mushroom.

Garreth and Polly end the life of the last frog demon. Then, we turn and get ready to talk to the ball of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment