Saturday, August 13, 2022

Castle Whiterock log 1 August 2022: Crawdaddy

The murderhoboes

Garreth, half-orc swordsman
    Bleu, droning elf wizard
Zaber, suave and debonaire man
    Logan, wolverine
Polly, cute and deadly elf archer
Thrognar, half-orc holy warrior

What they did

We go to the area near the pudding. I slip my ring on, and walk inside, Logan in tow. The narrow passage winds its way into the cliff side before we reach a natural cavern. The walls are rough and jagged, and the uneven floor is strewn with rocks and boulders. I see two big crawfish. They wave their antennas, then move towards the tunnel. I back up, and prod Logan with my foot to have him do the same. Thrognar sees Logan coming (since he can't see me), and also starts backing up as well.

We step out and wait for the crawfish, as does Polly when she sees us. Thrognar steps aside and focuses his religious mumbo-jumbo, while Garreth does the same with his spear. Bleu casts Haste.

The crawfish get out, and I stab one in the eye, popping it out of its stalk. I swing again, and it fends off my knife with its claw. Logan tries the same, with the crawfish swatting his first swipe, and his second bangs off the eyestalk. Polly pulls out her rapier and tries to take off an eyestalk, but likewise can't harm it. The crawfish claws at Polly and Logan, but they back away.

Polly tries to stab a chink in an eye stalk. It gets its claw in the way of her first blow, but she hurts it with her second, though it still can crane its eye, and it gets out of the way of her next swing. Thrognar swings at one's head, and cracks open its skull. I step aside and start putting on my ring. Logan goes for a chink in an eye stalk and wounds it. Garreth whacks one's skull again and again, splitting it open, then hits the next one as well. It tries to claw at Garreth, but he fends it off.

Polly again stabs the scelera, and bats it around, drawing blood. Thrognar cracks its skull open with two fast blows, but it still is wiggling its claws. I get my ring on. Logan also goes for the chink in the eye armor, and lands one claw but misses with the other one. Garreth swings swiftly, and lobotomizes it, killing it, and Logan starts eating its brain. The pudding comes out and eats the other one. Logan growls, but doesn't go after the pudding, leaving it to the second crawfish.

After Logan gets done eating, I lead Polly and him down the tunnel. I find a little nook, and see a shine of a pin on a high shelf. I take it, and it springs to a two-foot shortsword. We see another tunnel, and find it leads back into the dungeon where Garreth slew the giant crawfish.

We back out, and show Garreth the pin. He touches it, and it turns into a shortsword big enough for him, and when Polly tries it, it turns into a Polly-sized shortsword. She thinks it's magical.

We swim to the surface to chat, and agree to check out the top of the castle wall. We go back down, and I lead Polly and Logan atop it, looking for the aqua gargoyle while Thrognar heals Garreth. After a short walk. I spot a gargoyle looking rather concerned and trying to hide with his back to the frond fiends. I poke Polly to get her to signal, and she signals that I poked her for an unknown reason. I grab her face and turn it have her see the gargoyle, and she signals to the others that there's a gargoyle.

Garreth pops up. It gurgles at him, and he gurgles back. The gargoyle smiles at Garreth after a few more gurgles. Logan checks to see how solid its flesh is, but it's rock, so not appetizing. After some more gurgles, it ducks away.

Garreth tells us the gargoyle is a kapoacinth named Syngnatus, and it has agreed to give us gifts. Syngnatus comes back up a few seconds later with a chest and some burns. It gurgles with Garreth, then hands him the chest. He pops it open, and inside finds a fine chess set of carved white quartz and black obsidian gemstones on a fine white marble and black basalt board. "I told him we'd kill the rest of the frond fiends in trade," says Garreth, and we do that after Bleu puts the chest in the bag of holding.

No comments:

Post a Comment